Monday, May 25, 2009

Pater Sin and his brood of Psykers

As most may know, I like to take little snippets of background text (from Codexes or novels) and turn the characters therein into units for my armies. Sometimes it is a faithful rendering, sometimes it includes a fair amount of reinterpretation. I'll let you decide which way I went for this modeling project.


PLUS


PLUS


PLUS


EQUALS


So as you can see from the picture above, I'm about half way through the construction of my Psyker Battle Squad, led by Pater Sin. Originally I thought the psykers Pater Sin carried with him in Sabbat Martyr were children. When I re-read their description it seemed more like they were mewling runts, somewhat mutated by the powers of the Warp their psychic talents have attracted. Because of this description I've gone with a slighty more 1950's inspired look to these spawn of the Ruinous Powers.


This guy is the first (and only) one finished. Many of the others just need their ears added, and a few need to have their robes finished off and hands sculpted. Lots of fun to be had. The most work needs to be done on Pater Sin himself. I still have to sculpt the second psyker he will be holding in his left arm.

Cheers
Dave

20 comments:

  1. Quite a genius bit of conversion here! I'd have never thought of the Night Goblins. I can't wait to see this squad painted... and more pics of Pater himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding work as usual Dave. Now I have an unsettling desire to watch Phantasm I and II!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspired conversion, can't wait to see them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and oh so charactful, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Dave

    How very, very, clever.
    Your ideas are a real inspiration.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea, and use of bits.

    John
    Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Outstanding work as usual Dave. Now I have an unsettling desire to watch Phantasm I and II!"

    I fully agree with BigRed on this one! Now where'd I put those DVD's! ;)

    Dave you are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are truly disgusting! great job and as others, i look forward to their paint job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! Bloody brilliant! Very nice work you've got here, I can't to see them take shape even more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent sculpting on a creative project. I'm really looking forward to seeing these completed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone

    Thanks for the positive comments. While I really like the little guy I haven't been 100% sold on the rest. Now I'll keep plugging along.

    @bigred - I've never seen Phantasm 1 or 2, fortunately 2 is OnDemand at the moment so I can check it out ; )

    I'm planning on the same colors as my Infardi squad. Does that sound reasonable?

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good base for the psyker that he holds might be the Empire General clockwork cherub or one of the other Inquisition Cherubs but the Empire one is plastic and easier to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why square bases rather than round? Don't get me wrong, I love them, and the infardi, I am just starting to toy with the idea of blood pact to coincide with Dan Abnett's Blood Pact release in November.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the idea BigWill, I'll check it out.

    Patrick, the square bases are only temporary, they will be on 25mm rounds in the end. The 20mm squares were the only bases I had to hand when I started this craziness ; )

    bigred and Big Jim, I "watched" Phantasm 2 today and I just have two things to say. A) WTF? and B) I can certainly see the resemblance ; )

    Cheers
    Dave

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Psyker children would have been better. Think about it, people would Hesitate to attack them...Say Ima gunna do that

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you decide to go that route and need one I have one spare in my bits box

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope some day your Blood Pact and my Ghosts can meet on the battlefield, Dave! Great re-interpretation and looking forward to seeing them finished up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant! I love the bubbleheads.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are awesome! Well done, Dave.

    ReplyDelete