Sunday, July 17, 2011

Big Badda Boom!


I had a few very cool (and ultra important) snaps sent my way today, so I'm combining them all in this latest post about the Heroes of Armageddon project.


Last post I mentioned a couple of superheavies. The first is the Stormsword you see here. Donated and assembled by a great gamer and all-round good guy Phil Lisak, this fully resin Forge World tank was then painted by Joe Marshall, Brien Dulaney, and myself. You can catch a glimpse of it in some of our "tank painting extravaganza" photos here. This Stormsword is the 12th vehicle of the 8th Armageddon Superheavy Tank Company. This notable formation was initially composed entirely of Stormswords, but as losses have been suffered and requirements changed, new superheavy patterns have been introduced. This tank is named Hammer of Hades.




And now, I can finally bring you a look at the cherry on top of the sundae that is the Steel Legion army. It's something I started thinking about after having the opportunity to play with a Reaver Titan at last year's War Games Con. After discovering the potency of the Apocalyptic Missile Launcher, I wondered what it would be like to see it on the back of a big-ass tank.


Early on in the HoA project I spoke with Matt from Miniature Wargames Conversions, a guy who has created some pretty amazing "Apocalypse-style" conversions/builds in the past, and he agreed to take on the task. After the past few months Matt has been tinkering away, gathering a few bits from here and there, to create what I would like to dub the "Golgotha".


When Matt had finished the tank, he shipped it off to Brandon from GMM Studios. Again, another great guy and spectacular hobbyist, who whipped up this great paint job on the mighty Golgotha. Brandon assures me the airbrush stripes are Rotting Flesh in hue (to match the rest of the tanks), but his lights appear to have slightly washed it out.

Honestly, both guys have done a spectacular job, donating their time, talents, and personal savings to bring this dream to life. I take my hat off to them.


And of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I wanted the Golgotha to have a cool observation team scouting ahead and plotting in co-ordinates for the massive destruction that would follow. To that end, a mate of mine in Philly (thank you Jeremy) purchased a FW Tauros Venator from Showcase Comics (sometimes Mike deals in second hand kits, often unopened like this) and shipped it off to Jeff Wilhelm of Dragon Forge Design, supplier of the bases for the Steel Legion army. In between casting and shipping off his great range of awesome bases, Jeff assembled and started on the paint work for this cool recon vehicle, before sending it through to me for the finishing touches (including helping it match the other Elysian Recon elements of the army).





So, tomorrow some of these photos head off to Bigred, from Bell of Lost Souls, along with some thoughts on the possible rules for the Golgotha and its spotter. He'll be working his magic and preparing a wonderful set of rules for using this brand new superheavy. As soon as I get the sheet back, it'll be straight up on the blog.

So, if you want these great models, worth over 1,000 points and a retail cost of over $500, then head to the donation button and donate a ton of money, or just a little bit. Every bit helps, so please tell your friends (especially the wealthy ones).

Cheers
Dave

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That is crazy! I like it though. The Apoc Launcher is a festive device. And what a nice delivery system for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool spotter. It even has the right amount of camber in the front suspension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Golgotha is drop-dead gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to all those who have been working on the Stormsword. That tank looks really amazing and the ash-colored pigments on the tracks look as if the tank's a RC model and somebody made it hurry through an ash desert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's as every bit as awesome as I thought it'd look.

    Man, this army is just amazing. Whoever wins it is gonna be lucky guy/gal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome stuff! Nice work all around, I look forward to seeing a whole army shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This stuff is great guys! I love seeing gamers giving back to the community. Great charity effort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say Brandon did a great job painting the Golgotha! I also want to say MWC was more then happy to help a truly great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on everything guys. The whole thing came out great. I love those Tauros vehicles!

    ReplyDelete