Things are really starting to ramp up for the Heroes of Armageddon Charity Project. Finished models are starting to trickle in from the build teams, and blog posts are starting to accelerate.
I figured now was a good time for a spotlight on one of our BIG sponsors, Battlefoam!
Last year Battlefoam provided the P.A.C.K. 720 and custom foam trays for the Storm Wardens project. To get a closer look at the bag we got last year, check out this post here.
Last year we had a lot of odd pieces and required quite a few custom trays. This year it's very different. Battlefoam are supplying us with FOUR bags, and the trays to fill them : ) Very generous stuff from Romeo and his team. As I'm taking care of the Steel Legion I figured it was finally time to get my order in. Fortunately almost all of the IG models are pretty standard, so my plan is to provide Romeo with a list of the types of "slots" we'll need to pack it all away, and then let him (or his chief custom guy) work out how to best fit lots of stuff into a small space.
There are a few key things to point out in my thinking though, so I'll run through those now.
• Custom infantry slots - although there are almost 100 infantry models in the army, only three of them fall outside the normal sizes: the standard bearer, Commissar Yarrick (being painted by Golden Demon winner Kirill Zhilkov), and the Master of Ordnance (being sculpted and painted by four-time Slayer Sword winner Chris Borer). In the pic above you can see the outlines I traced for the standard bearer and Commissar Yarrick (based on a WIP shot from Kirill), and the vague outline for the MoO (based on a description from Chris). I've not only put on the dimensions for the MoO slot, but when I scanned the sheet (to be able to email it to Battlefoam) I also added in the side of my cutting mat, showing the millimeter scale just so that the Battlefoam guys know exactly how big these slots are.
• Other infantry on 25mm bases - Taking a good look through the army list I started to add up what I'd need, here's a rough list:
Company Command: 5 slots (including a commissar, but not the standard bearer or MoO)
Stormtroopers: 12 slots (10 for the initial squad, plus 2 for the extra meltagunners being painted)
2 x Platoon Commands: 3 slots each (as each has a heavy weapons team)
5 x Infantry Squads: 8 slots each (as each squad has a heavy weapons team)
2 x Savlar Chem Dogs: 10 slots each
1 x Armageddo Ork Hunters: 10 slots
This is a total of 93 models. Just in case the winner wants to add a squad of their own, I'm asking for 110 slots for standard, 25mm based infantry.
• Heavy Weapons teams - there are 7 heavy weapons teams in the list, and assuming the winner might add another, I'm asking for 8 slots. As almost all of the Steel Legion heavy weapons are short (the teams are either kneeling or prone) I'll let Battlefoam know these heavy weapons teams can be "double-stacked".
• Sentinels - easy enough, we have 3. When combined with the double-stacked heavy weapons team, this will mean there should end up being 7 60mm round slots.
• Chimera-based Vehicles - there are 9 Chimeras and 2 Hellhound/Devil Dogs, I'm going to add one slot "to grown on" and request 12 slots for Chimeras.
• Leman Russes - easy again, we have 4. The important thing to note here is that we have 4 slots for Leman Russes without sponsons, one of these is a Vanquisher (for the barrel).
• Valkyrie/Vendetta - 1 slot for this one.
• Superheavies - we have TWO superheavies for the Steel Legion army, but I'll tell you more about these later : )
I can't wait until the bag arrives. Rest assured I'll do a great post on it, just like the Storm Wardens bag from last year.
Until then, there are two things I need you to do:
a) donate to the Heroes of Armageddon project by clicking on the drop down Paypal button in my top right navigation.
b) head along to the GW at White Marsh, MD, USA, tomorrow afternoon around 4-5pm to vote for the best army entered in the Armies On Parade competition. : )