Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lamenter Update: 3rd Game Loss and Movember!


Two more Tactical Marines finished since my last update. I've been working away diligently on them, along with three other projects that will eventually see the light of day on this blog or another. I'm pretty happy with the consistency I've been able to keep with the yellows. I think once I'm finished with the squad I'll be able to go back in and wrap up the final shading with a glaze or three in the right spots.


There's a slight difference you might notice about these two guys, and it's the sword icon on their left shoulders. I decided when I was assembling the squad that five of the models would get this icon on their shoulders, and they'd form one of the demi-squads should I decide to use their "combat squad" option. To further enhance that look, this group will have their "4" in black.


And then I have another two underway. The Marine on the left is the demi-squad leader, denoted by the chalice on his backpack. The Plasma Canon Marine has been a lot of fun to work on, with such large areas of yellow needing to be shaded in some way.

My Third Game!

For my third game I played against seasoned veteran John Swann and his Space Wolves. Again I found myself outnumbered and outgunned as John ran: a Rune Priest, an 8-man Wolf Guard squad (all with different gear) in a Rhino, two 10-man Grey Hunter squads in Rhinos, and a Vindicator.

We played a game with multiple objectives scattered across the table and right from the start I was under heavy fire from John's Vindicator. After the first turn we found ourselves in a situation of each of us removing an entire squad at a time. First my Assault squad was gunned down, then my Death Company Tycho (to be renamed Janus) finished off a GH squad in combat (six models on the charge!), then the Vindicator took out my Death Company, then my Furioso wiped out his Wolf Guard in one turn (despite having lost a blood talon arm to snapfire on the way in). It was a frenzied display of blood-letting indeed. Sadly, my men could simply not hold on against the constant attacks from the Strength 10 large blast, and John won the day, although all casualties he caused were through shooting, so a moral victory in my books ; )

And finally...Movember

Please click on the link here to see our post about Movember on the Guns Of April blog. Obviously I'm going to ask that when you donate to the cause (and I know you'll do me proud) that you donate to my individual page here. In our team we have a side bet going on which side (Union or Confederate) will bring in more money, so I'll need your help as more of those damned Rebs are growing mustaches than we glorious Yankees.

Enjoy your gaming, and more about Lamenters, gaming, and embarrassing mustaches later!

Cheers
Dave

18 comments:

  1. A few fantastic colors, your project has very good looks, congratulation for your work. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Dave fantastic work. I cannot believe you are free-handing the Lamenters madness!

    Are you using the new GW paints? I;d love to know what you are using for the shading old paints I would say bestial brown glazes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm using a mix of new GW and current Vallejo paints for the work on these. Most of the shading is being done with GW's Skrag Brown (lighter and a bit more orange than Bestial), and then a bit of VGC Charred Brown for the deep recesses.

      Delete
  3. Love that OSL on the plasma gun, top notch. Nice to hear your exploits on the game table too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mik! I still have a ways to go before I'm happy with my plasma OSL, but I'm getting there. As for the game reports, it's interesting to try and tell a quick, fun story. I'll keep trying it as long as the games are just as fun ; )

      Delete
  4. Awsome models, but why do you put them on square bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The square bases are just place holders until the whole army is finished. I'll then transfer them to the Secret Weapon Miniatures Bone Fields bases.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful yellow and I have to agree, that glow on the plasma gun is very nice. It has a texture to it that says glowing, inconsistent light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave,

    It was hard to kill any of your models in assault when Tycho and and Dread were removing entire units in a single phase!

    Good games, though. Nice back and forth for such a low point game.

    Oh, and I was looking over the rules for the Blood Claws (since I have three unpainted Furiosos I could add to my own Blood Angels) and you don't get the lawn mower effect (more attacks when you wound) if you on,y have one Blood Talon. Not that it mattered, since the Sons of Russ prevailed (barely!) against Sanguinius' finest, but for future games...

    Great game though and I'm looking forward to seeing the entire army painted. Great stuff!!

    Vale,

    JohnS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I just went and checked that myself. You are absolutely correct. It's a good thing you did win anyway ; )

      Delete
    2. No worries. If I play a game of 40k without messing up some rule, it'll be the first time! Besides, it made for a better game anyway. I couldn't hurt the Dread in assault, and it ate my army, while you couldn't hurt my Vindicator at range, and it ate your army.

      Don't know that I've ever played a game at that low points total where the momentum seemed to shift back and forth so many times...

      All's good!

      Vale,

      JohnS

      Delete
  7. Just all-in-all beautifully painted marines. Great job! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave, what's your formula for Yellow???

    It was great seeing you the other day and meeting your mother.

    Keep up the great and inspiring work!!!

    Keith

    ReplyDelete