Monday, October 31, 2011

Might Makes Right! - Cool New Bases!


So, a little over a week ago I placed an order with Jeff at Dragon Forge for a few of his "base blanks", primarily his new "150x100mm" base blanks so that I could base my Thundertusk on it. I know that the Thundertusk already comes with what seems like a perfectly serviceable base, but I've seen quite a few of them now that have warped thanks to the glue used to apply a texture to them. In my opinion there just isn't enough structural support under the base. Anyway, my order arrived last Thursday (just before I headed off to Lancaster, PA for the Fall In convention) and in it there were a few pleasant surprises : )


The 150x100blank with Thundertusk on top, you know, for scale ; )


The surprises were the first casts of a new line of bases from Dragon Forge. Jeff has brought his successful Slate Wasteland bases (popular with Space Wolves players) into the Warhammer realm. I suspect this line will be quite popular with Ogre Kingdoms players. Above you can see the 150x100mm base, just perfect for your big beasties. There are lots of slightly differing angles on the tops of the slate pieces, so I would recommend you pin your Thundertusk/Stonehorn to this base. Depending on where you place it on the base, you may also need to do a slight amount of putty work to getting it standing just right.


I wanted to put together a few new models so that you could see how everything fits on the bases. Here are two of the new Mournfang cavalry models, each sitting on one of the two unique 100x50mm bases.  Despite the different angles on these bases, there was absolutely no trouble gluing the paws of the Mournfangs to the bases. I think pinning is still a good idea though, just for peace of mind.


These are the two uniques 50x50mm bases Jeff has for the line, and these gave me the perfect excuse to assemble a plastic Hunter from the left over parts from my Thundertusk. The large, flat areas in the middle of the bases make it a very easy task to accomplish.


And now we get into the "meat" of the range, important for Ogre players considering this line. Above you can see "Set 1" of the 40x40mm bases, along with an Irongut I put together using a few of the left over pieces from the Mournfang box. Set 1 contains five individual bases, all with flat areas in the right places to mount the surprisingly small "footprint" of the basic Ogre model.


Finally, here is "Set 2" of the 40x40mm bases. Another five unique bases just begging to have some Leadbelchers, Yhetees, or even a Firebelly or two, standing on top of them.

All in all, I think these bases are a great addition to the Dragon Forge stable. They look great, they're well-sculpted and incredibly well cast (only minimal flash around the edges and no airbubbles at all), and they are very reasonable priced.

I'm not sure excatly when Jeff will have them on sale, but I expect it'll be very soon (in the next week or so). Keep an eye out on his site or "like" his page on Facebook.

Now I just need to put together a few more Ogres to fill them ; )

Cheers
Dave

8 comments:

  1. When are you going to finish the Firebelly, Dave? Those new bases do look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave! To answer Everyone's question..I hope to have these on the Store by Wednesday at the latest.. I'm painting them now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    @Jordan - Firebelly is on the backburner at the moment, til I'm confident I have the time to devote to it in one or two sittings.

    @Dragonforge - Bases look great Jeff, thanks!

    @Ray- I'm sure Jeff would want to say "Thanks" ; )

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. Can't wait to see these bases in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work here. Amazing to see something be plain and then come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you guys know, the bases are now in the store ready to be ordered!

    ReplyDelete