Friday, May 29, 2015

Vroom! Vroom! - The last of the V8 Interceptors


And here's the next in my series of Mad Max:Fury Road vehicles for our Car Wars gaming. This one is the classic V8 Interceptor, beaten to hell, that sees less than three minutes of screen time in the film.

If you want to have a good read about the history of the Interceptor, from the first film through to the latest, I recommend you check this Mad Max Wiki out.


Fortunately. Hot Wheels released a 1973 Ford XB Falcon as recently as 2012. They currently go for $3-5 singly on eBay, or can be found in batches of six from $10-20. I picked up a pack of six in this lovely orange. Over the coming months I'll convert a variety of versions of this most classic of cars : )


Anyway, I tried to hit the key elements used to change the stock XB into the Interceptor for the start of Fury Road.

The stowage is pretty specific, one of the two tanks from the start of Mad Max 2 is still present, the rest of the space filled with four different kinds of fuel-carrying receptacles nestled in a dirty tarp.


The front end was originally a nose cone addition that could be bought for the princely sum of $216 (back in 1979). By the time it makes it to Fury Road, it only has the top half.



I made a pair of slightly exaggerated exhausts, and a super-charger with air scoop for the hood. Yes, this one sits a lot higher than it does on the actual car, but it felt good when I was making it.



And here's the first part of the paintjob, I just have to track down my box of weathering powders to hit it (and the Stingray) with some wasteland dust.







I hope you like it : )

35 comments:

  1. Fantastic kit. Completely looks the part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! You remember Car Wars?? I have fuzzy images in my head from WD issues in the 80s. My buddy is into this again since the new movie came out. Passing on your blog right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never played Car Wars until about four weeks ago : )

      However if you are thinking WD you might be thinking Dark Future, the game GW released in the mid-late '80s (I think).

      And thanks for sharing the blog!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work Dave. It almost brings a tear to my eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to Hot Wheels to have actually have made 73 Falcon. As a kid that loved cars, I never had one of those in my toy box. Good stuff Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there's no date for it's original design on the bottom of the car, but it is cool that they made one. It even has the steering wheel on the right-hand side : )

      Delete
  5. That is very cool - really like what you have done there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What scale is that? Is that 1/72?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's Hot Wheels/Matchbox scale which is tentatively 1/64th. I say tentatively because they really always make the cars to fit the packaging, so smaller cars become bigger (their bikes are huge) and larger cars become smaller.

      Delete
    2. Is it Die cast or plastic?

      Delete
    3. That's the funny part about most of the new Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars. Apparently to be called a die-cast toy they need to have a certain amount be die-cast metal (not sure what the percentage is). So some have die-cast bodies with plastic underbodies (and interiors/windows), some have die-cast underbodies and plastic bodies etc etc.

      The XB is a die-cast metal body, everything else is plastic.

      Delete
    4. Cool stuff, really. I've started work on something similar. that mad max movie, can't stop thinking about it.

      Delete
  7. Epic. One of the best interceptor conversions I've seen. And there's a few out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. I sculpted a conversion kit for Brigade Games too. Hopefully it'll be ready for sale in the next month or so.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely superb Mr. Taylor - inspirational stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is fantastic, man! I definitely need to find some people to play Car Wars with, it's been twentymumble years since I laid out the ol' grid maps. Good times! I did go in for the recent Car Wars Arena kickstarter, hoping against hope it doesn't turn into another OGRE debacle though... Hah!

    Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your autoduelling exploits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. make sure you book a trip to AdeptiCon next year for our Fury Road game : )

      Delete
  10. This came out stellar. Though I notice you chose not to do the steel/grey replaced door. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all of the promo photos/footage (except the one at the start of this post) the doors are the same color as the rest of the body, so I'm chalking that one up to the lighting on the open/differently angled door ; )

      Delete
  11. Looks great, but needs way more orks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Dave , would have been a shame to blow it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The miniatures on your blog are outstanding. I cannot believe the detail you have on your Mad Max: Fury Road Black on Black Pursuit Special. Your Facebook Group has photos of mind-blowing vehicles.

    If any of your blog's visitors and your Facebook Group's members are interested in trying to use Car Wars for Mad Max: Fury Road road battles, a blog post I wrote recently might be useful.

    Mad Max: Fury Road, Car Wars, and Chassis and Crossbow
    https://owenmp.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/mad-max-fury-road-car-wars-and-chassis-and-crossbow
    Wheels, Weapons and the Wasteland
    May 24, 2015

    We should talk about Car Wars and Mad Max: Fury Road via e-mail. My e-mail address is on the front page of my Web site.

    Seattle Washington Autoduel Team Headquarters (SWAT HQ)
    http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/swathome.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Shiny! So Chrome! I'm glad you posted this Dave - I was wondering if anyone had manufactured a Falcon in this scale. For your Adepticon Fury Road game, are you using Car Wars rules or a variant? Do you use the full CW rules for your regular games; and, if so, what version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PZ

      Not sure yet re: the AdeptiCon game. Still have a while to nail that down.

      We used 5th edition CW for our regular gaming. Most of the basics plus some cobbled together rules for creating our own cars.

      Hope that helps : )

      Delete
  15. Buy Rolex watches online, we provide everything you want and meet all your replica uhren legal needs!

    ReplyDelete