Monday, May 18, 2015

Vroom, vroom! - more Fury Road conversion work!


Well, there has been a bit of a frenzy locally (and on my little corner of the Interwebz) over the awesomeness that was Mad Max: Fury Road! Although everything in it was great, the general hobby focus has been on converting more cars for games of Car Wars (or Dark Future, or Devils Run, etc etc). I have now spent roughly $80 in 20+ cars, some to become donor cars, others to be the heart of a conversion inspired by the excellent vehicles in the movie.

After my last conversion (seen here), I wanted something a little simpler, so I went for the Chevy Corvette Stingray here. I tracked it down on a cool site called LooseCars.com. I also picked up a few other pieces I needed there and there'll be more conversions to come. Although it appeared that there had been an issue with my order, everything was sorted out incredibly swiftly, and my cars arrived very rapidly.


I don't have any WIP shots of this one, as it all happened in one night of frenzied cutting, gluing, and puttying. The changes made to this one are:

• strip cut from the hood of the car and the side fenders (it was too tough to try and cut it out and leave the fenders intact, easier to cut all the way through)
• rear wheels replaced from donor car
• rear body lifted up to accommodate the wheels
• engine cut from donor car and jammed into open engine compartment
• exhausts cut from plastic rod, bet to shape, and glued in place
• small pieces of plasticard cut to fill the gap at the fenders
• brownstuff used to putty in the body shape and fill the newly angled gap at the rear of the side panel
• plasticard and brownstuff used to create seat bolted to trunk
• plasticard and plastic rod used to created drum-fed .50 cal machine gun




When it came time to paint the car, I was all ready to paint it in the polished steel look seen on so many of the MM:FR cars (including the photo at the top of this post that inspired the build) but when I took a look at a video about a lot of the cars, there were a few shots of this car in a "black primer over red" paint job, so I went with that instead.





And here is is next to my original car : )

I'm still uncertain about the paint scheme, so sound off in the comments section and let me know what you think! Which would you prefer to see - as is, or polished steel?

Cheers
Dave

21 comments:

  1. Since this is a Corvette - the car is fiberglass - not steel. Keep it black and red - that works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I had another friend tell me the same thing. I guess I'll need to add a lot of sandy colored watering powders : )

      Delete
  2. Agreed, but would like to see a future conversion with a polished steel finish..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll go with lots of polished steel on a few other cars, so you'll get your fix then : )

      Delete
  3. Would love to see a shiny version as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to save the polished steel look for others, but thanks for your vote : )

      Delete
  4. I like the black and red, I just think it needs to be be broken up a bit. Maybe spots of paint transfer or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully a lot of light and dusty weathering will help break up all that dark.

      Delete
  5. Looking awesome, your work here (and Fury Road of course) have inspired me to do some car conversions, but since I'm working on my 40k ruined city board I'm thinking more in the 1:43 or 1:35 range

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Have fun with the larger scale : )

      Delete
  6. Love it as is!

    How do you get your cars apart? Do you use a drill, and if so can I ask what size and type of drillbit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm not sure on the size of the drill bit, but something about the diameter of the rivet/flange would be good. Nathan Herron posted a quick run down on a FB page that popped up recently (he uses a dremel with a grinding bit)

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/261621860679462/?fref=nf

      Delete
  7. That, my friend, is superb work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhhh... I must do. That movie was so damn good. Keep these coming Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look just right as they are to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. A bit of weathering will see it nice and wasteland-dusty.

      Delete
  10. You need to make the Doof Wagon (The huge truck with the drummers and electric guitar soundstage) or the War Rig. Those are projects truly worthy of your abilities.

    WITNESS ME!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic... he's very cool as it is no need for a repaint..... the best thing about postapocalyptic minis is that you don't have to slavishly follow a historical scheme or chapter heraldry. Letting your imagination run wild is the order of the day... I've been doing some 28mm mad max stuff myself (meltaburn.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete