Monday, December 29, 2014

Solar Auxilia Command Complete


Just before Christmas, I finished painting the two commander models for my Solar Auxila HQ choices. First up was the Lord Marshal (above). When I built my Vostroyan army during the Medusa V global campaign, I never actually got around to finishing this model. I'm not sure why, but he has been hanging out on my painting tray ever since, biding his time. His patience has been rewarded and he is now complete.


The second commander is the Strategos for my Auxilia Tactical Command Section. Built primarily from the Tempestus Scions set, he'll fit in nicely with my army.


And here he is, fitting in nicely with the Command section. : )


Next up for these guys? Painting up two more lascannon teams so that I can field these three as a battery of Tarantulas with twin-linked lascannons. And it's a Fast Attack choice in the Solar Auxilia list : )

Cheers
Dave

8 comments:

  1. Excellent work, man! Love the Strategos in particular - very cool. I'm in the same boat with the heavy weapon teams I'd built, as they were suddenly invalidated in the FW list. I like the idea of running them as counts-as Tarantulas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Yeah, tarantulas seem like the way to go for our HW teams.

      Delete
  2. These are an absolute triumph. Knock-you-down brilliant painting, with incredible detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Dave!

    I love the Strategos, he fits the rest of the vostroyan minis nicely.

    By the way, I would add some nuances to the bases (I find them a bit... grey!) . Maybe a brown wash here and there or a touch of weathering powder could do the job.

    --
    morbäck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that mate. I agree, the bases are lacking a bit of depth. I think picking the right powders will be important, and help tie them in with my other Horus Heresy era forces.

      Delete
    2. I like the paintjobs on those models, Dave, especially the freehand on the inside of the Lord's Marshall greatcoat. Or is it just dirt? Also like your skin, which colours do you use?

      Delete
    3. Hi Anon, The "freehand" inside the coat is actually sculpted onto the model, so I can't claim that, and looking more closely at the photos, I think I covered most of it with mud/dust. As for the skin, I typically go with Vallejo Game Color Tan, highlighted with a mix of that and VGC Dwarf Skin. Then highlight with straight Dwarf Skin, then finally with a mix of Dwarf Skin and VMC Pale Sand. Hope that helps : )

      Delete