Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Artillery Train of Nuln (Part 9)


Grab a cup of coffee, sit down, and relax...there's quite a lot in this post : )

As faithful readers will remember, last Saturday I took my army to the GW store at White Marsh to compete in the Armies On Parade store heat. I was the winner on the day and you can check out my shots of the cool looking Nurgle force I was up against in this post here. Well, I managed to get some photos of finished pieces last Saturday and tonight I finally have a chance to put them up here.

The photo above is the entire force as it was displayed at the store, complete with flocking.

Some of you may remember the Helstorm Rocket Battery I had painted up. I was looking for a few suggestions regarding a design for the back of my merchant's cloak. You provided lots of great ideas, some of which I really wanted to try out, but time and the primary color (the turquoise) didn't really help out with the decision making. Fortunately I spotted the perfect thing to key off. I simply repeated the Empire eagle motif, found on the back of the "rocket board", in a slightly lighter version of the turquoise. This way I could create a direct visual link, and not feel like I was introducing too many other colors to the piece. Rest assured though, those ideas will surface again.

I also added a small N in the lower right corner of his cloak. Just something for a little fun.

The next piece I finished up was the second cannon. I wanted this crew to have a stronger sense of urgency, as though the enemy was almost upon them, the barrel is loaded with grapeshot, and it's almost time for the last ditch defense.



I figured that with such a short range war machine in their hands, the Helblaster crew would also be about to mount a desperate defense (or run away as the case may be). The guy with the barrel swab has obviously had little weapons training, unlike the gunner reaching for the sword in the rack, but both are showing a great deal more courage than the third gunner about to flee the scene.



The Steam Tank came out very nicely I think, considering it was a bit of a "Frankenstein" job. I had to stitch together various parts from the plastic and metal kits, as well as a few sheets of plasticard. The dark metal of the body was painted in a slightly different way to how I painted the rest of the dark metal on the other war machines. I mixed Boltgun Metal with Flames of War/Vallejo German Grey. This gave me a very dark and smooth basecoat that looked great once I added a couple of layers of thinned Badab Black.



After checking out the photos above, I realized I hadn't named the beast, so I scoured the internets to find the names of the original Steam Tanks, and immediately settled on Pride of Nuln. Very fitting.

So, I was nearing the home stretch. Just a few characters to go. Here's my Battle Standard Bearer, regally bedecked in his shiny gold armor. I knew his uniform and the banner were going to be black and I really wanted something that was going to pop. The gold works really well, and has it's own lovely depth added by applying two thin coats of Secret Weapon's Amethyst wash to the recesses.

I decided that this relatively small force (for a city the size of Nuln) must serve defending one of the numerous gates or waterways into the city. For no particular reason I settled on the North Gate, so this army is now "The Northgate Defenders". Appropriately enough, a portcullis and a cannon are the symbols on the Army Standard.

And finally (or so I thought), I had to finish up my Engineers. A friend of mine had recently lambasted me for not running Engineers with my cannons. He went so far as to say that it was the main reason I'd lost so many games with the army. I dug through my boxes of Empire bits and put together these two daring students of blackpowder from plastic bits alone. I'm quite happy with them. Of course, in my last game they helped kill a Hellpit Abomination, which promptly came back to life with six wounds and rampaged through my line. Thanks for the advice John ; )

The last thing I had to do was finish off the "planter boxes" I'd made. Almost all of the bases in this army are from Dragon Forge Design (their Temple line). Jeff was kind enough to let me know where his secret stash of textured plasticard was sourced from (the UK actually) and I had to make a couple of orders to get enough for the display base. I had a few sheets left over and knew I needed to add some height to the terrain. I painted up two of the twisted GW plastic trees and built these two "planters" out of the textured (and some untextured) plasticard. A little bit of putty, paint, and tufts of grass and they were good to go. They are separate from the table for ease of transport.



I hope you've enjoyed the tour through the latest additions to the Artillery Train. The Marienburg Landship is slowly grinding its way towards my painting table.

Stay tuned...

Cheers
Dave

19 comments:

  1. I dare say Dave my favorite is the chap with the eagle on the cape and N in the corner. I love the backround story you have put into all of this and am disapointed I probably won't be seeing you at games day to see this in person. Best of luck to you mate and cheers. BTW odd question but you as an empire player should be able to answer it. What's up withe the cherub on the banner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very good use of storytelling on the artillery. Love that kind of thing in armys. Great stuff Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, pure awesome. I'd echo Psychosis, the storytelling on the artillery is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those artillery pieces are some of the best I have ever seen. This army just amazing, I really hope you do well in the parade of armies.

    BTW, are you going to share with where you sourced the textured plasticard from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Fantastic post - just full of great eye-candy. Thank you very much for posting.

    I have really enjoyed seeing this force come together.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. No coffee for me in the morning but as luck would have it, I'd just finished making a cup of tea...

    As always Dave the thought you put into the back story of your army is as impressive as the army itself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The army just oozes character. All of the units have their own little story that comes together to paint a larger picture. Can't wait to see more pictures of it after Games Day.

    Messanger

    ReplyDelete
  8. truly inspiring stuff! You almost make me believe that I can achieve the completion of a high spec warhammer army of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, beautiful work! It's quite easy to hear the typical DT "cheer and excitement" in the voice of the article.

    And I absolutely love the stone-filled wicker baskets protecting the cannon. I may have to steal that idea...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic work. I'll be pulling for you at Games Day, and I'm looking forward to getting a look at this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outstanding painting and work all round.
    Really inspiring!!!
    Makes me want to get the paints out.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi guys

    Thank you very much for your comments!

    @Alex - The cherub is from the Empire general sprue and just adds a bit of clockwork craziness to the model. The banner it is holding says "By the Power of the Powder" (referring to black powder of course).

    @Tylermenz - Certainly. There are dozens of sources for the card all across the UK, a quick google search will reveal them. The card itself is WILLS SSMP208 York Stone Paving.

    @Smurf - With some patience and a clear vision, anyone can't paint up an army like this.

    @Paul - Do it! I'm looking forward to seeing Napoleon and his cronies painted up : )

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the eyecandy your project is providing, a truly inspirational piece even for a non - WFB afficionado like myself

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  15. Dave I just had to post here to say this Nuln army is one of the greatest Empire armies I have ever seen! Not only is it fantastically themed and painted but all the little extra details and conversions you have added are so inspiring! Amazing work sir!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate you sharing your post. Reading it was intriguing. It significantly aided me in increasing CPS clicks. Additionally, you must choose a choice and speed up the clicks. Test your clicking speed with mouse cps test by clicking here.

    ReplyDelete