Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Artillery Train of Nuln (Part 7)

I've finally grabbed a chance to post up some more of my Artillery Train of Nuln. With just under two weeks until the Armies on Parade heat in local GW stores. I'll be heading up to GW White Marsh, not quite the closest store to me, but the one I've spent most time at since the Battle Bunker in Glen Burnie closed.

Anyway, there's still a LOT of work to do in 13 days. Wish me luck.


Here's my second unit of handgunners, the Marksman is armed with a repeater handgun, effectively giving the unit 12 shots a turn.


Here are the first ten Ironsides, the resin handgunner bodies from Warhammer Forge. Lovely detail and very characterful, if a little "samey".


And here are the second unit of ten Ironsides. I enjoyed painting stripy pants on a few of them, just to break things up.


Here are a few shots of my Helstorm Rocket Battery. I'm thinking I should do some freehand work on the back of the cloak of the merchant and I'm open for suggestions. Leave your ideas in the comments ; )




I think I've mentioned before, but I'm keen on creating a story for each of my artillery bases. On the Helstorm base above, a prominent Nuln merchant has purchased this experimental weapon and is keen to find out how it might perform in the upcoming defense of the city. Bothering the Engineer whilst he is getting the machine ready for battle is obviously the best course of action.


The story here is much simpler, the crew are readying the cannon for another shot. Once the crewman at the business end has finished packing in the powder charge, the cannonball can be dropped in and the engine returned to its firing position. The crew have also been allocated a guard "for their safety". I must admit though, I've never seen cannon crew win a round of combat against anyone.



Two more artillery bases to go (another cannon and a Helblaster), plus two Engineers, a Battle Standard Bearer, and a Captain. If the replacement parts for my Marienburg-class Landship arrive on Monday, I should be able to get that done too. Plus finishing off the display board.

Busy, busy, busy!

Cheers
Dave

14 comments:

  1. Wow those look great! They have such character.

    Where did you get your bases from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the cloak of the Merchant, why don't you try a twin tailed comet of sigmar somewhere? That or at least some sort of edging like on Sicarius' cloak

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a pattern made of dollars, pounds, and any other monetary symbols you care to include? You could mix them all together in an intricate-looking design in white or pale grey...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piece is simply beautiful.

    How you make your bases?

    For the cloack, a golden edge, or maybe the twin tailed comet (golden).

    Pattern of dollars and other symbols is a brilliant idea, but is'nt out of BG? Since you are going to an official competition this may be an hazzard.

    My 0.02 cents .D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe a lavish design including the twin tailed comet. Something that ties him in with the Empire, maybe an Altdorf emblem as it's the richest city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff, Dave. Really like how those hand gunners came out. For the merchant's cloak, how about a fleur de lis pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow man they look really cool. Have you thought of entering Golden deamon in the Diorama cat for one of the artillary sets? I think you should as they are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your aspiring merchant should get a coat of arms wth a twist... he obviously thinks the way for self advancement is the buying of such objects to help defend the city... so he should be therefore concerned with his status... so probably has been selling a product or two or is known for it that everyone needs but does not give him status... I think a self important man like that would give himself a coat of arms... like maybe two sticks of celery crossed or two carrots crossed on a field or something.. to show that he has come from the lower classes made good and now is trying to buy his way higher with a heroic tale of how his device he purchased or sponsored saved the West gate... etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave you continue to amaze me- your one of the main motivators to keep pushing me with my painting of the high elves I'm working on.

    Just brilliant stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the detail on the Arty.

    For the merchant, I would suggest putting scales across the back. On one side would be a cannon and balanced (or heavily laden) would be a pile of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sweet! i love your style of paint

    The scene of the rocketlauncher and the cannon is bright

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for your comments about the models. I'm really happy with how this army is turning out. The bases are all from Jeff Wilhelm at Dragon Forge Designs. I think they're the Temple set. Jeff is the kind of guy that'll add a new bases or two to his lines if you can explain the purpose behind it, that's what we did for the 100x100mm bases for my artillery pieces.

    And thank you for the suggestions for the freehand. I'm bringing a few of the suggestions together and should have a solution soon.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know it is ten years later, but I wanted to say that these are absolutely fantastic. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete