Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The New Mechanicus - A review (part 2)

Ok, here we go with part two of the review. 

I think that a few people might have been a little disappointed by my lack of rabid enthusiasm for the Skitarii Vanguard/Ranger models in the first part of this review. Well, prepare to feel the enthusiasm flow for the second release for the new Mechanicus - The Ironstrider Ballistarius/Sydonian Dragoon.


This is some classic John Blanche madness right here. When we might have expected a tracked platform for a heavy weapon, we've been given this beautiful, ostrich-legged monster. I love the organic lines of this model. I love the design elements that are echoes of other models in the Imperial ranges (like the "bones" of the legs that echo the leg shapes of the Imperial Knight). I love servitor slaved into the machine and the wonderful backstory about the machine itself, a perpetual motion machine that must keep moving, even when the servitor "burns out" and must be replaced while the strider keeps striding. Throw a Skitarii pilot on top and given him some twin-linked weapons and you have a winner!


But what could be better than the Ironstrider? The Sydonian Dragoon, of course. Not only does it have all the wonders of the Ballistarius-variant, but it replaces the big guns with a taser lance. It's a wonderful blend of "bringing a knife to a gunfight", the Polish cavalry of WW2, and the goblin knights from the movie Labyrinth.

All three of the models I've bought will become Sydonian Dragoons.


One of the things I'm enjoying about the Mechanicum (Forgeworld) and Adeptus Mechanicus (from GW) releases is that with each release I'm getting the chance to slide a model or unit of models that I built for fun into a set of rules. I built that crazy floating Techpriest thing for fun, and then FW released the rules for an abbeyant, a perfect way to bring that model to the tabletop. The new Codex allows me to field the walking lascannons you see above (inspired many years ago by a conversion by Graham Davey) as Ironstriders. They're a little bit smaller, but there's a general feeling of a similar bulk.


Of course, this model can now also be used as an Ironstrider. Slightly shorter and much bulkier, but still ready to pursue the enemies of the Omnissiah relentlessly. 


Here's the first of my new models, assembled and ready for priming.


So many lovely shapes in this kit. I might have to do one up as a display piece : )


13 comments:

  1. Dave, the wonderful creations for your Ad Mech army are going to look so good alongside the new releases GW have put out. Please promise me you will take some photos of the entire force, once you have finished putting paint to plastic on the new models. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see in the assembled model picture that the rider's arm is not quite connecting to the hand on the controls. Is that because you want to remove him for painting, or does the kit not quite fit well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kit lines up pretty well, although it's a bit of a pain to get it to do so while the rider is loose. You did get it right, though, I've left him loose for ease of painting : )

      Delete
  3. I agree this is a crazy piece - even more crazy is" I do not see any conversionwork?"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've moved into a phase where installing of converting immediately, I like to construct a standard model and then see what needs converting ; )

      On this one, I'm not sire there's much. I'll be playing with the leg positioning on some of the future builds, but I'm a fan of so much about this model!

      Delete
    2. There really is no need to convert this guy...

      Delete
  4. I always love your work, been following it since the old "Crimson Fists on the back cover" days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review, DAve. I was curious what you might think about an AdMech release and if it fits with your previous designs and kitbashes. Great insights and I'd love to see more AdMech from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I'm hoping I'll get a break in my work schedule soon, so I can get some of these painted up : )

      Delete
  6. Fantastic continuation! 🤖📖 Your in-depth analysis in Part 2 of The New Mechanicus review has me hooked. Can't wait for more insights! 👏
    For digital marketing company noida Visit:- https://www.artattackk.com/

    ReplyDelete