Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Horus Heresy - Death Guard Killzone team


Here they are, my (initial) take on a Killzone team for the Death Guard. I know I'll need to paint up some more models, as some of these no longer fit with my plans (or quite fit into the currently constantly updating rules). Amusingly enough, my friend who has been working on a set of rules has actually been working with Big Jim of Galaxy In Flames. Big Jim put up the latest set of rules on his blog on Sunday. Why don't you head on over and check them out.


But on to the models. Most of these were painted last time you saw them, but I was still a bit iffy on the final basing. After consulting with a few friends, and taking some good advice from a multi-Sword winner, I've gone with this basing approach. A dark/mid grey, washed with a variety of colors (including purple), followed by some mid/light grey drybrushing, and then a dusting of Terracotta Earth powder from Secret Weapon Miniatures. I hope you like it






Until next time, happy painting!

Cheers
Dave

17 comments:

  1. Very nice! The warmer colors on the bases really help the whites and greens of the models pop. Beautiful work, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My AM used a lot of red dust on the bases, so I went for the more orange/brown look, but perhaps the red might have contrasted the green better?

      Delete
    2. I love the orange/brown - it's got that subtly rusty/rotting vibe to it that really suits the Death Guard - though they're still in their early heresy livery there's just that hint of corruption leaking out and staining the ground. The red may have been more contrast-y, but the orange is far more evocative to my eye. Great stuff!

      Delete
  2. The bases are a nice way to set them off and I love how you brought the colour up onto the marine to tie them into their setting. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Worked the grey up their legs first, that really help anchor them once the orange/brown powder went on.

      Delete
  3. Dave, they look great! Was it fun doing a small force that you don't have to worry about duplicating a thousand times? I agree with the other two posters the warm colors on the base really make the whites and greens pop. How do you like working with the powders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BC! But only a small force? Of course I have plans for many more ; )

      Working with the powders is a lot of fun, nerve-wracking, but fun.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic. Absolutely loving these Dave.
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  5. The models are looking outstanding as always; the bases do really make the colors on the models “pop!” Your work is greatly inspiring my World Eaters list.

    Thanks for the shout out and plug of the play test rules! At this point we pretty much have the list building locked in now, so whatever changes you make you should be solid from here on.

    Cheers,
    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. I need to go back now and try to nail down my list (and paint a bunch of Death Guard), but first I have a Titan to work on for AdeptiCon : )

      Cheers
      Dave

      Delete
  6. Hi outstanding work just started my death guard , all the best mrtinypinhead . from youtube

    ReplyDelete