Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And the Winner is...

Artwork by Adrian Smith, copyright Games Workshop, used without permission.

Finally, a winner for my Steel Legion Army List competition has been determined!

I've been quiet all week because I've had no time to take photos of the models I've been painting (more Napoleonics, I've really been bitten by the bug). On Saturday I took a run up to Showcase Comics to attend Dakkacon: Philadelphia, along with Jeff from The Adept's Forge. The event was quite different to what we expected, but it was a good day over all. Jeff helped me narrow down the lists until we hit on the final two or three.

On Sunday, my wife came down with an awful stomach flu and so I looked after our daughter all day, keeping her entertained. By the end of the weekend I was too wiped to even paint! On Tuesday, I was hit by the flu and was completely out of it. I had trouble even stringing a sentence together it was that bad. Fortunately, for us both, it just seemed to be a 24 hour thing as we were both able to go to work the following day.

Anyway, enough of my moaning and rambling.

Thank you to all 25 gamers who sent in army lists for the competition. There was a fairly broad spectrum of lists, from the current "leaf-blower" tourney favorite to the super characterful. I must admit it was quite tough as a number of the better options available to the Imperial Guard now were simply not written into the Steel Legion background 10 years ago. Does that mean that the Steel Legion wouldn't have used Psyker Battle Squads or Vendettas had they been invented? Who's to know?

Well, in the end Jeff and I came down to lists by Ted Nagel, Warhammer 39,999 (Rob), and Stuart Heasman. All were characterful, included some solid arrangements, and met our criteria.

In the end I decided on Stuart's list. As well as having the look and feel of a Steel Legion list, Stuart also included a couple of units from the other famous Armageddon regiments like the Savlar Chemdogs and Armageddon Ork-Hunters.

Here's Stuart's 3,000 point (roughly) list:

HQ

• Commisar Yarrick

• Company Command Squad - Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Regimental Standard, Vox, Grenade Launcher, Master of Ordnance, Chimera

Elites

• 10 Stormtroopers (Yarrick's Bodyguard) - Plasma pistol, 2 Grenade launchers, Chimera

Troops

• Platoon Command Squad - Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Vox, Chimera

• Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher, Vox, Chimera

• Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter, Vox, Chimera

• Platoon Command Squad - Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Vox, Chimera

• Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher, Vox, Chimera

• Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter, Vox, Chimera

• Penal Legion (Savlar Chemdogs)

• Penal Legion (Savlar Chemdogs)

• Veteran Squad (Armageddon Ork-Hunters) - Shotguns, Heavy Flamer, 2 Flamers, Harker

Fast Attack

• 2 Hellhounds - 2 Smoke Launchers

• 3 Armoured Sentinels - 3 Lascannon, 3 Smoke Launchers

• Vendetta Gunship (for the Armageddon Ork-Hunters)

Heavy Support

• Leman Russ Vanquisher - Hull Lascannon

• 2 Leman Russ MBTs - 2 Hull Lascannons

• Leman Russ Executioner - Hull Lascannon


And of course, I'd have to pick one of the entries all the way from Norway. Not to matter, Stuart's brand new Leman Russ Demolisher kit will be on it's way to him as soon as the snow clears here in Maryland.

Cheers

Dave


11 comments:

  1. god damn i forgot all about that comp :P

    a very well rounded list i must say, though i would personally exchange the lascannons on the leman russes for heavy bolters and use the extra points elsewhere to be honest.

    how you goin to approach this?
    mass conversion or as many straight out of the box guys as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantasticly themed list. you never know, it might even win a game or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I read the winning list, I don't believe I added Yarrick myself. A glaring omission in hindsight! The list seems rather fluffy though (the Chem Dogs are a nice touch), so good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. No superheavy?

    Looks like it came to the same conclusions as my list overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Stuff! and a great list (wish I had thought of that)

    I'm sorry I missed the Dakka thing at ShowCase, I was going to attend, but ended up at a local Tournament that weekend (gotta support the local store ya know)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys

    Yeah, it was a tough one. I think around half the lists hadn't included a superheavy (most with valid justifications as to why they hadn't), although for those that did the Stormsword was a popular choice.

    Of course, there's always the chance adding a Fortress of Arrogance for Yarrick to roll in ; )

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, it was very tempting to put the Fortress of Arrogance in, but after I had put in everything else that I wanted to, there just wasn't the points unfortunately.

    Although the idea of having a 3000pt list and then building lists at different point levels was actually quite fun(and also a bit of a challenge after writing a list of everything I wanted to put in and then having to remove quite a bit of it), so I might have to try and do a campaign at the local club revolving around that idea.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh been painting more Naps you say,well that's just great and looking forward to seeing them.

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Stuart. That is a good looking list. I really like that it's not a typical melta/vet spam list. It's bound to be great fun to play.

    By the way, thanks for considering my suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn fine list, Stuart. The inclusion of Yarrick and the Ork Hunters was particularly good. Very fluffy.

    I do have a question about the Stormtroopers, however. The list has them with three special weapons, but Stormtroopers can only have two special weapons. Does "Plasma Gun" in that entry mean "plasma pistol for the Sgt.?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nassir - That was my mistake, I mis-transcribed Stuart's list. It's all fixed now.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete