Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Death Guard - Some old school reinforcements and some new models.


While searching around for some Ogre bits a few weeks ago, I stumbled on a handful of old school Rhino-based vehicles. Some were missing parts after years of neglect, others had never seen paint (beyond their black primer coat), so I decided to resurrect them as reinforcements for my Heresy-era Death Guard. I little scraping here and flipping there and I'd managed to salvage the four you see above. The two blue vehicles were originally part of the Crimson Fist Space Marine army that I built in 1997, that graced the back cover of White Dwarf sometime in 1998 (I think). I had a few hatches handy, but hot enough exhausts to replace the damaged ones. I decided to replace all of the exhaust tops with plastic tubing to tie them in with the current Forgeworld homage to this old transport.

Since this photo, they've all been primed and are awaiting a session with the airbrush (which is in turn waiting for me to complete the assembly on my Spartan).

But enough of the old school stuff, here are a few photos of some shiny new models I've assembled using some of the great new parts from Victoria Miniatures!


First up is a trooper using a head, arms, and legs from the Arcadian kit, and the all new Cloaked torso from the Borderworld Rangers kit. Despite being planned for a different set of legs, this particular cloak falls wonderfully over this set of advancing legs. This guy would make a great stand-in for a Vervunhive recruit to Gaunt's Ghosts!


I love breaching shields like this (I currently have 20 for my Death Guard!). Although there aren't any immediately obvious analogs for the shields in my Imperial Guard collection, I thought it would look cool on the arm of of this Scion. For close-quarters action I switched out his laspistol for the great compact stub-pistol. I love it!


And finally, I have decided to use my already-painted Vostroyans to represent a Solar Auxilia force. I have pulled out the models armed with lasguns to form three different 20-man lasrifle sections. This has left a few heavy weapons teams awaiting an indication from Forgeworld on how they'll fit into the new list. A search for spare Vostroyan models, coupled with the arrival of the package from Victoria Miniatures, lead to this lascannon team. I'm excited to get my hands on some more : )

Cheers
Dave

19 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see you slap some paint onto these, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I was just in my storage unit and found four old Rhinos... I was wondering what I'd do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll have to add some lascannons to my mortar crew as well...looking forward to the paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lascannons are my favorite. The Guard don't hit all that often, so when they do I want it to count ; )

      Delete
  4. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing these painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Dave, just as an aside, I heard from some bloke that the heavy weapons were designed for magnets. Don't know if it's truth or just suss interwebs stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start on the rhinos! Ironically, it was YOUR Crimson Fist force that helped inspire me to collect my Crimson Fists. Although mine is scout heavy and asset light reflecting the aftermath of Rynn's World.
    Can't wait to see your Death Guard completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. It's crazy to think it was 17 years ago! And your army sounds very cool and thematic.

      Delete
  7. Is that the FW breaching shield? That looks a lot smaller than I thought they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, that shield is from Victoria Miniatures. It is certainly smaller than the FW Marine breacher shields. It's designed for the Guard-sizedmodels she produces. Hope that clears things up. : )

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Time go check out what else I missed from Victoria Miniatures.

      Delete
  8. I love those old rhinos. Looking forward to seeing them join your force. The transport capacity is a little small for 30k though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine for the smaller Tactical Support Squads ; )

      Delete
  9. Dave, I remember working for GW and that WD coming in and my staff and I totally nerding out over that back cover photo. Who knew your work would keep getting better and better over the years!

    I'm excited to see paint on all of these pieces. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed seeing the olde skool Rhinos.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete