Sunday, May 27, 2012

Morr Spearmen!


On Thursday I got the parts back from my friend Thomas, who cast up the arms and shields that I sculpted for the spearmen. I'm also using the shields on the Knights (hence the knightly close up above). I wasted no time in getting some assembled, and even managed to paint up a few. Photos below.





There are four different shield designs (rose, scythe, hourglass, and skull), three left arms, and three right arms. The spears themselves are made from brass rod from the Gale Force 9 Pinning set, at 1.8mm (I think) they are a perfect size. The blades on top are carved from 1mm plasticard into crescent/scythe shapes and are designed to look like "war scythes" that were polearms used in the 17th Century (and probably much earlier and a little bit later). This idea was suggested by a reader back at the start of the project. Although they are a bit of work to make each one individually, I think they look great.


And finally, here are the original sculpts I made a week or so before Adepticon.

Cheers
Dave

13 comments:

  1. It's the details that make the difference. The spearmen are looking good (and certainly unique).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You are truly an artiste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the venetian look is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Dave, love the looks of these. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really top class work Dave. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! Love the sculpts. The only thing that I don't adore is the pose of the GW spearmen... they are squatting in a very unnatural pose, at least for someone not setting a spear to receive a charge:( Still, great looking! How do you plan to "pop" them, given all of the black they are wearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the poses aren't the best, but I figured at least one psart of them aught to be from a GW model. The help them pop I'll be putting them on the same bright bone colored bases.

      Delete
  7. Well done Dave - so unique and yet so close to the source material of the WFB world - I am going to start using this project as the discussion example for people asking me about planning for golden demons. To be truly competitive one of the first rules has to be to make sure that any original takes still reside squarely in the fluff. Brilliant concepts Dave, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I've always been keen on staying within the background, or pushing the boundaries a bit where possible.

      Delete
  8. I love the custom elements, Dave. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mol. Sorry our communication broke down over the INQvitational, I hope it goes well and perhaps I can provide something for next year's event.

      Delete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments, I'm really excited about how these guys are turning out. I've almost finished another five. Only 22 to go after that ; )

    ReplyDelete