Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Got Morr head?


First of all, the flames have been painted! Check that off the list. 30 models down, only 50 or so to go.

And now, on to the Spearmen. you my remember back in March and early April when I was sculpting heads for my Spearmen and other attendants. Well, at Adepticon I was able to give these heads to my friend Chris Borer. That's right, FOUR-time Slayer Sword winner Chris Borer. I had managed to cajole Chris into doing me the hugest of favors by casting up the heads. You might be asking yourself why I asked Chris to do it? Well, here's why.

Last year Chris helped us raise a ton of money for Doctors Without Borders with our Heroes of Armageddon project. Chris sculpted (from scratch) and painted up a Master of Ordnance for the Steel Legion army. You can see that model here. Chris has since decided to start a little sideline business, selling a few casts of some of his cool minis. This business is Full Borer Miniatures, check it out.
Anyway, last year Chris sent me a copy of his Artillerist, perfectly cast in resin, and by perfectly cast I mean PERFECTLY cast. I just knew I had to have Chris replicate every flaw in my sculpting, and he did just that.

Please note: Chris has pointed out that doing this was a bit of a pain in the butt, so he will NOT be offering a casting service.


Above are the four "Venetian" style masks I sculpted for my Spearmen.


And here are the perfect casts from Chris.


And here are the first five models to have their heads attached. I know what you are thinking. You are thinking "Those heads look a little big". And you'd be right. One of the four I sculpted was about the right size, one is about 5% too large, and the other two are about 15% over-sized. All my fault, I didn't pay close enough attention when sculpting them up. However, once the arms and so on are attached, I'm very confident I can mitigate any concerns with painting.

More photos to come soon of the arms and shields that were cast up for me by another friend. It's good to know a lot of talented people!


And as a final teaser, here are the first five Knights of Morr, just awaiting their shields (and a motto for the flapping banner on the Standard Bearer. Suggestions for this motto are welcome in the comments below.

Cheers
Dave

15 comments:

  1. Death Comes for You!
    Death Bringers
    collectors of Morr (collecting souls, of course)

    Peter O

    ReplyDelete
  2. morituri te salutamus
    We who are about to die salute you.

    or

    deficit omne quod nasciture
    Everything that is born passes away

    for mottos, go latin or go home.

    Bucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Death is only the beginning..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. guardians of morrs realm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very nice! (Not the motto but the models.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb all round! They may have been a pain to sculpt but those Venetian heads are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd go with Memento Mori (remember you'll die)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the heads! Great theme for an army. Getting parts cast is a great idea, what the hell have I been doing sculpting each one?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, Dave I busted out laughing at just seeing your title in my blog roll!

    (I just LOVE the knights btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Knights of Morr are awesome! Extremely characterful.

    Omnia mors aequat. - Death makes all equal.

    Noli timere mortem. - Fear not death.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your comments, and for the great banner suggestions. I'll have to get that painted up tonight and post a new pic (with the painted shields too) tomorrow.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Knights are simply gorgeous! There is just so much character to them, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morr Time for Death

    ReplyDelete