Monday, January 12, 2015

Working on a warehouse for "Welcome to The Big Smoke".


I've been working on a few different things recently (well, four or five different projects - I'm obviously a hobby butterfly). While the washes dry on my Dracosans, and I wait for my bases to arrive for my thudd guns, I've been working on tarting up a great 4Ground Victorian Warehouse.

I got this beast from my friend Nigel while I was visiting the Oldhammer weekend last October, and at the event Rusty challenged me to make it "not look like it's laser-cut MDF". I've been thinking about how to do that, and after finishing up the Sarissa/Warlord La Haye Sainte just before Christmas I felt it was time to get started. I've been working on it over the last week and am now writing up an article for Wargames Illustrated (with photos) describing the things that I feel can be done to enhance an already spectacular building.

But more on that later...


Here's a quick WIP for my first Infamy "kingpin" - The Toad! I hope you like him.

Cheers
Dave

6 comments:

  1. Dave, the Toad (Mr. Toad?) looks spectacular. You have a show winner there. This looks straight out of comic book it is painted so masterfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get too carried away, John. He's just going to be a gaming piece : )

      Delete
    2. Aren't they all gaming pieces. I wouldn't be the same if the models just sat on the shelf afterwards. One of the things I really like with your model is the mixture of warm and cool colors on the front. I think you nailed that. You managed to warmth-modulate.

      Delete
  2. They're both looking pretty nice there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. A bit more work to do on both, but it's nice to get started : )

      Delete
  3. Loving mr toad. One suggestion (if it was going to be a competitive piece vs a gaming piece). That hammer really draws the eye right now. I'd either adjust it's strength of tone, or provide some other strong eye catcher on the other side of the model (maybe some heat coming out of the smoke stacks?).

    Of course this is a WIP :). I really like regardless!

    ReplyDelete