Friday, February 5, 2010
The Rapid Assault Force approaches
I managed to get the first element of my Rapid Assault Force (almost) finished this week! This Chaos Hellblade (from ForgeWorld) took quite a bit longer to paint than it did to assemble, but it is nearing the finished line. I've gone for a "reversed" scheme for my RAF flyers, using Dheneb Stone for the base color and Scorched Brown/Dark Flesh for the Chaos star.
The Step-by-step painting guide is as follows:
• Drybrush entire Hellblade with Tin Bitz
• Drybrush with Boltgun Metal
• Wash with Devlan Mud
• Wash patches of the Hellblade with Leviathan Purple and Thraka Green
• Wash with Badab Black
• Paint Windsor & Newton Liquid Mask on the metal, where you want the chips to appear. The edges of the wings are a great place.
• Paint the Hellblade with Dheneb Stone
• Drybrush with a mix of Dheneb Stone and Skull White
• Peel off the Liquid Mask, exposing the darkened metal below
• Hit the edges of the exposed metal with Mithril Silver
• Highlight the edges of the chips with Skull White
• Shade the Dheneb Stone with Gryphonne Sepia painted carefully into the recesses.
• Basecoat the Chaos star with Scorched Brown
• Highlight with Scorched Brown/Dark Flesh mix
• Edge highlight with Dark Flesh/Bleached Bone mix
Detail everything else.
As you may have noticed, the cockpit glass is black. That's for two reasons:
a) I wasn't happy with any of the paintjobs/color schemes for the pilot
b) I lost the original canopy and built a new one from plasticard
Of course, as soon as I finished painting the new canopy I found the old one!
Back in November I donated a 28mm Single Figure paintjob to the Mechanicon '09 Charity Auction. The winner of the paintjob recently sent me his chosen model, Forgefather Vulkan He'stan. I'll be shipping him off next week.
And the base is from Dragon Forge Design.